Hello everyone! Bit of a simpler post today, I’m thinking about things I want to do in the next month and a half and thought I’d write down a to-do list of stuff I want to do in the limited time that I don’t have already planned out. I have a few trips planned in the coming weeks, like I mentioned in my Coming Up – Summer 2017 post, so time is already kind of booked up, but I think it’s still good to plan out short/small goals.
Some of these were nabbed off of @theobsessionbegins’s Self Care Mini Challenge (like one or two things) but hopefully I’ll be giving her challenge a proper go in August when there’ll be a bit more time to focus things. July is going to be a whirlwind!
Things To Do In July Before The Texas Heat Kills Me:
- Have a picnic. I recently bought a really neat picnic basket from Target and it has yet to have a proper debut, so I’ll be planning a picnic this summer, hopefully in a massively shady park somewhere… I’m sure there’s one around here.
- Have brunch with friends. Can you believe I’ve never had brunch? Because it’s true, I’ve never had brunch. Not the proper kind with mimosas and guac on toast at least, it’s always been frijoles recalentados in my sweet ol’ Mexican household. I want to actually do this one though, it’s on my Life Bucket List. (If you guys are interested in hearing about that, then let me know I have it written down in a notebook somewhere)
- Try a new restaurant. I’m guilty at always sticking to the same places, my taste buds need a change!
- Have a proper mani/pedi. (Salons scare me, so this will have to require a bit of courage)
- Wear a two-piece in public. Do I even have to explain why this is terrifying? It’ll definitely be a step forward in the self-confidence game, so let’s hope I have the cajones to pull this off.
- Read three books. This is being really light on the load, I want to read more than three but I’ll set the bar low. Slowly but surely getting back to my bookworm roots.
- Meet somebody new. You probably wouldn’t know this, but I’ve had the same friend group since middle school. That’s more than ten years. I honestly don’t know how to even go about making new friends, but I want to give it an good ol’ fashioned try this summer!
- Watch one TV show. I don’t have time for TV during the school year! Or at least I didn’t during my first year, I have a feeling my second might be a bit less chaotic. Either way, it’s high time I catch up with some faves, I’m so behind on everything!
- Send snail mail. I have a few online friends that I’ve been meaning to write to for ages, but lets be honest: internet has made instant gratification so much more appealing. I want to get back to the roots of things, send letters with cute messages and stationary. I have the supplies, just need to get my ass into gear and actually do it. (Sub-section to this would be to mail a friend a mix cd, because how cute is that!)
- Enjoy nature. Texas heat is unforgiving! It’s so bad, it feels like the earth is melting. Nonetheless, I don’t want this to stop me from going outside. I’ve noticed that staying indoors most of the day doesn’t help my mood, so I really want to go on some nature walks and enjoy the fresh air.
- Do something Adventurous. Specifically, I’m thinking of zip-lining or scuba diving in Mexico when I visit later this year, but who knows, I’m not limiting this to only one adventurous experience!
- Take photos of myself. Another one dealing with self-confidence. I hardly take photos of myself, I want to be comfortable doing that this summer. I’m hoping keeping this blog will help with that as well.
- Campfire movie night. I’ve did this once! The photos below are from my instagram, it was so beautiful and such a nice way to spend time with friends at home, I’m itching to do it again!
- Visit the beach with friends. I’m trying to put together a trip to a water park with friends at the beach near the end of July, but we’ll see how it goes. Not really sure if it’ll happen or not, but here’s to hoping!
- Take a pottery class. Another one from my Life Bucket List! I recently found a local place that offers one-off classes and I really want to go, hopefully it can happen at some point!
That’s my list! Have you guys ever done any of these? Please let me know in the comments below, and also let me know any of your own summer bucket list ideas (link me to the post if you’ve made one! I love reading about bucket lists.)
Cheers lovelies, thank you so much for reading, and have a fantastic first of July. xx
I’ll be the first to admit that I do things on the fly. I went skydiving for the first time on a whim. “Fuck it” is kind of my philosophy in life for the most part, particularly with doing things that make me nervous to begin with. My hair… that’s a different story.
My natural hair is Black. I don’t mean dark brown, cute in the sunlight, black. I mean BLACK. When I was little my hairdresser would go on and on about how my hair was a gift. But honestly, I’d had enough. 25 years of the same hair? Time for a change. Last summer I decided to dye my hair blond. It’s like they say, the best laid plans of mice and men-
What ended up happening is this:
- Cosmo-student friend drove me to store to buy copious amounts of bleach and dye.
- A guy friend went first and bleached his whole head Draco Malfoy blond.
- My turn, I freaked out, demanded an ombre instead.
- Got a hacked up dye job and split ends to match.
- Kept this “ombre” for a long time regardless, until I chopped it off in January.
I think there’s just something about the summer I think that keeps me wanting to make drastic changes. Usually I’d just cut a fringe on my hair or something, but this time around I had an Actual Adult Job that pays Actual Adult Money with which I could pay for an Actual Adult Hair Dye.
And… well that’s what happened.
I’m still not sure if I like it, to be honest. For starters, this is nothing like the photo that I showed the hairdresser. I went to her because a friend recommended, but maybe I should’ve done a bit more research. I think I might just not suit the blond life though, my hair didn’t bleach as well as it “should have”, according to the hairdresser. But oh well, what’s done is done. I just need to go get some box dye for my eyebrows, because SHE DYED MY EYEBROWS.
My eyebrows are off-limits to anyone that I’m not paying to touch them, thanks.
I’m considering whether or not I should stick to this for vacations though, I’m sad at the thought of not liking photos of me in them because I feel awkward with the hair. Thoughts?
Summer! Summer’s here! I have my life back. After nine months of being at the beck and call of forty three-year-olds I’m back to being an independent, autonomous human being!
Here’s a list of things that I’m looking forward to this summer. Everything from films and music to trips and escapades.
- Atomic Blonde (JULY 28) – Charlize Theron is a badass with a gun. If that wasn’t enough Sofia Boutella looks amazing as well. I read a synopsis of this film months ago and have been piqued since. An awesome film with a female lead? Sign me up.
- Baby Driver (JUNE 28) – I’ve seen every single thing that Edgar Wright has ever been a part of and I’m not about to stop now. I almost feel as if he’s an old friend for some reason. I would’ve been all in for this film with Edgar’s name attached alone, but the trailer is also incredible and the soundtrack is a banger.
- Dunkirk (JULY 21) – A war film, based on a true story. The story of Dunkirk is fascinating, from what I’ve discovered with minimal research. I saw the trailer while watching another film at the cinema, and it’s so heart-stopping and hair-raising, I know the film is going to be an emotional rollercoaster and I’m looking forward to it. Plus, the exceptional casting, as always with Nolan films, is a plus.
- Spider-Man Homecoming (JULY 7) – This is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I know there’s been more than enough Spider-man films, but as always I’m hooked once more. I’m intrigued by Peter portrayed as much younger than usual. I love Zendaya to pieces. This is definitely my 100% block-buster, enjoy-at-face-value film of the summer. I’m predisposed to love it already, and nobody can tell me otherwise.
- Melodrama // Lorde (JUNE 16) – This is already out, but I haven’t given it a go.
- Everything Now // Arcade Fire (JULY 28) – Great singles so far, one of my fav. bands!
- Lust For Life // Lana Del Rey (JULY 21) – A second-hand love, but a love nonetheless.
- Soft Sounds From Another Planet // Japanese Breakfast (JULY 14)
- Something To Tell You // HAIM (JULY 7) – Another favorite band!
There are way too many things happening in the music world currently, and I’ve felt a bit overwhelmed by it all recently. I might make another post about it soon, but I’ve narrowed my summer list to five albums that I’m really looking forward to listening to.
- San Antonio – Trips to San Antonio are usually not seen as holiday. It’s a short four hour drive from home, and the closest big city to us. But this year our family has planned our first family reunion! There is so much family in San Antonio that I have yet to meet and I’m very excited to meet them all.
- Disney World/Universal Studios – Do I even have to explain my excitement for this trip?! I’ve been a few times before, but it never stops being exciting and alluring as the first time. I’m especially excited to experience the new Pandora area in Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Cancun – This trip came out of nowhere! I decided to piggyback on my friend’s family trip. I was invited, but last minute, three other friends have decided to go as well. I’ve been friends these people since middle school so this should be one hell of a trip and I am so excited to go! Expect a post about each one of this trips, as well as the other, both before and after, with lots of photos!
- I’m starting a journey of heading towards a more healthy life this summer. I’m not being too strict about it, but the goal is more about feeling better than losing weight. I might make a post aboout this later, when I feel more confortable with the whole blogging platform.
That’s all from me for now! Thank you so much for your comments on the last post, I feel like starting this blog, away from the eyes of most of my friends, is the way to stick to my motivation and strive for a more positive way of life. Leave a comment, let’s be friends!